Last week we jetted to the city that never sleeps in search of the the latest on point gifties and accessories at NY NOW. Never heard of NY NOW? It’s one of the largest home, lifestyle and handmade wholesale markets of its kind. Makers from all over the world gather at the Jacob Javits Center in NYC to showcase their wares in hopes of catching the eye of retailers like Architect’s Wife.
After three days of fighting the crowds and pounding the 525,000 square feet of paved halls at the Javits Center, we were pretty enthused about our finds. We tracked down everything from furnishings, textiles, table-top accessories, ceramics and hand blown decanters.
While on the hunt for new shop goods, we were keenly aware of some emerging trends. Below is our roundup of market finds and trends that stood out on our whirlwind buying trip.
1. Greens! (Thank you 2017 Pantone Color of the Year) This green velvet Roxy Chair only lasted a few weeks on our showroom floor.
2. Fringe is back! We found it on the ends of pillows, throws, and curtains, just to name a few. One of our favorite incantations of this trend was in the work of Neem Living, founder Louesa Roebuck. Her soft cotton throws and fringed wool pillows will be your go to snuggle pieces this Fall.
3. Texture. In this intensely virtual world we live in, people are craving more tactile pieces for their homes. We discovered Stinson Studio, a father and son shop in Ontario who sources burl wood for their pieces and embodies this aesthetic.
4. Navy is the new black. On point: The Fatty Sectional by Eilersen is rich in color and style.
5. Artisanal rather than DIY. We noticed a return to glass blowing, handmade porcelain and ceramics, and woodworking by skilled craftsman. With that in mind, we honed in on the work of Nate Cotterman, an LA based master glass artisan. He uses traditional Venetian glass blowing techniques to create innovative bar ware, lighting and home décor that are strikingly beautiful. Keep an eye out for his patented whiskey glasses (pictured), decanters, and vases.
6. Raw White (chalky and bone white). The concept of a return to a more natural, organic look.
7. Intense Jewel Tones like bright blues, green, fuchsia, purple, etc. Our Saba Amelie arm chair in blue velvet is the definition of this trend.
8. Handwoven baskets. Using traditional methods to knit and crochet their woven goods together this Italian company, Neo, puts a modern spin on their product by using neoprene to craft these gorgeous baskets. Can’t wait for our collection to arrive here in Bozeman!
9. Hygge lifestyle. (pronounced: hoo-gah) Hygge is not a tangible thing, but rather a concept. It’s that cozy feeling you get when you curl up with your favorite throw and read a book or sip hot tea and watch snow fall. Stay tuned for Hygge Games and lifestyle items at Architect’s Wife!
10. Metallic furnishings and accents. You don’t need to wait for our market shipment to arrive. We have four of these forged bronze chairs in stock and ready for you to take home!
Stay tuned for the arrival of these goodies and more in the shop! Fret not, they will arrive in ample time for the holidays, so keep your eyes peeled on our Insta or Facebook feeds for more details on their landing date. Then make sure to stop by our downtown furniture shop to see them for yourself!
AW will be CLOSED Monday, September 4th for the LABOR DAY HOLIDAY
AND, we’ll be CLOSED one more time next week while we celebrate our talented TEAM for employee appreciation day, Friday, September 8th.